A few weeks ago, Shane and I decided it was well past time to replace the grill that disintegrated over a year and a half ago. It was a good move. I am now re-acquainted with the pure joy that a grill brings, simply because it doesn't heat up or dirty my kitchen, doesn't pollute the house with smells, and cooks food perfectly in entirely reasonable durations. These days, it doesn't matter what food substance is being considered, it has a more that 60% chance of ending up on the grill, even if it's just to experiment with how well it might turn out.
Of course, I'm not offering any ground-breaking methods here. Grilling is in no way a new sport. It's quite likely the oldest possible cooking method there is, so I don't propose that I'm a genius in this arena by any means. But I have personally come to appreciate some grilling opportunities that weren't at first obvious to me, so I'll share, for what it's worth.
#1: Buy a grill basket. This is what separates man from the Neanderthals. Let go of the idea that grilling means a giant slab of roadkill on the burner. It's time to get enlightened. Open your grilling world to veggies, tofu, fish, or any other item that might otherwise not survive a grill. I recommend one of these or these or these.
#2. Find a local growers' market or farmer's market. You know they are out there, you just haven't made the first couple of trips that will change your mind. It's so worth it, both in the quality of the food you're buying, and in the benefits you create by buying local.
#3. Buy some good quality olive oil, sea salt, and fresh ground pepper. I take my veggies and cut them into large, long chunks, or leave them whole if need be. I put them in a big bowl and drizzle JUST A LITTLE oil on them and toss. I sprinkle in some sea salt and pepper and pour them across the magical grill basket. They go on the grill for about 6-7 minutes and then flip, and another 5-6 minutes on the other side. (note: watch carefully, all grills behave differently at various temperatures!). They come out slightly crisp, with an amazing grilled flavor. See? Not hard.
My Latest Attempt
I bought some fresh sugar snap peas (not snow peas, sugar snap peas!), asparagus, portobellos, and garden-plucked onions. I followed all three steps above, and added only a TINY touch of garlic salt. I had no doubt about the asparagus, mushrooms, and onions. But the sugar snap peas? I think I got a little dizzy when I tasted the first one. I'm not even kidding. Something about the grilled-salty-garlic with the sweet-crispy snap pea just made my head spin. I could eat them every day. Dare I say it? They were better than french fries!
Depending on the size of the grill basket and the number of vegetable-eaters in your house, you might end up with leftovers. Never fear! The next day they are amazing copped up over a salad with some feta cheese on top!
Go now and get yourself equipped with a grill, basket, and veggies!
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Recommendations
Crafty Favorites
Quick Linker
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(37)
-
▼
June
(15)
- Saturday Recipe: "The Margarita"
- Kids with Cameras
- BONUS Recipe: "Anything on the Grill"
- Saturday Recipe: "Texas Backyard Pesto"
- Through the Autism Filter
- Happy Father's Day
- Attention Margarita Sisters
- In which I divulge my sources...
- Saturday Recipe: "Rock-amole!"
- an example of why he's awesome
- Of course you should surf the web with your credit...
- For the photographers and photo-appreciators
- From the Studio
- I know, it's really Sunday
- Saturday Recipe: "Black Bean Burger"
-
▼
June
(15)
1 comment:
Viveth, you are 3 for 3 on the recipes...and we haven't even tried them yet (but we know we want to and will). Thanks for posting! I'm particularly interested in the peas. I need a substitute for french fries in my fast world. Thanks also for reminding us that we need to go the Farmers Market this weekend. We never regret it but don't go as often as we'd like.
Post a Comment